Giraffe Couture

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

John's Knowledge

I sat down at the computer today and saw the web browser was open to a Google search for areas of specialization in law. Obviously John had been exploring, researching, and browsing law schools and points of interest. This should not surprise me, because John would research almost anything on the internet. It's something that I love about him, but I also tease him endlessly about it. "John, when was the first American English dictionary published?" "April 14th 1828 by Noah Webster." Why does he know these things? You've got me, but his wealth of information is impressive! I fear two things. 1) I fear that the number of useless facts that he has in his brain willl take up necessary brain cells that could otherwise house useful material. For example, "John, what's the exact geographic center of the United States?" "Lebanon, Kansas." "John, where did you put Jack's diaper bag?" Crickets chirp wildly. 2) I fear that Jack will have a mind like John's and, in turn, think that I am a complete moron. "Here Jack, eat this Thanksgiving turkey just like the Pilgrims and the Indians...." "Actually Mommy, Native Americans never actually ate turkey; killing such a timid bird was thought to indicate laziness." "oh....okay." I guess I shouldn't fear either of these scenarios. I would love for Jack to be just like his daddy. I would love for him to be a person that seeks knowledge rather than idling through life with only what he learned in school. As for John's useless facts, I guess there should always be someone out there who knows that all organic compounds contain carbon. This is how I felt.

No comments: